Mark Wright Music
Providing freelance services to the Music Industry
What do you need?
If its music and electronics related I can Prototype, Build, Repair, Refurbish & PAT test it pretty quickly and all at a reasonable cost.
- I enjoy working with Customers & Suppliers, Investigating symptoms & Analysing data.
- Following a build sample or affected 'fix', I prepare Job Reports in a language you can understand.
- Individual build samples or repairs can be completed same day*.
- Low costs are maintained by my low overhead in my fully insured home workshop.
With a HND in Electronics and around 15 years of technical experience working in the Music Industry, I specialise and advise on all types of Audio Repairs & Refurbishments including Tube, Transistor and Class D based Amplifiers, Touch screen and traditional mixers, Digital modeling & Analogue devices such as Effects pedals, Audio Processors and Wireless technology.
*Note: depending on schedule & parts availability. I will always quote a 2 week turnaround, to cover unexpected delivery schedules
Fun Fact #3 - I once spent a year servicing large electronic church organs (the largest and most complicated instrument I could find).
They say... If you want something doing properly, do it yourself or ask a busy man....
While working with Line 6 UK Ltd, I was asked to Implement numerous projects along side my ordinary daily tasks.
I believe I was asked to execute these projects because I have proved that I tick these boxes:
- I work hard and have strong 'Can do' Attitude,
- Good Organisational and project Mgt skills,
- Great Team Player and People Management,
- Precise Communication techniques,
- Analytical & reporting skills,
- I have a track record of being a very good negotiator,
- Good practical knowledge makes me a Great Problem Solver,
- Great relations skills with External Customers & Suppliers,
- Multi-tasking ability allows me to keep on budget and schedule,
- Resourcefulness is key to being able to resolve issues,
- I am Committed, Dedicated and Passionate about what I do,
- I am Results oriented,
- You will find no-one more accountable.
To add some detail for you, the major projects included:
- 10,000 Sq Ft office fit out (Line 6, Rugby).
- The purpose of this project was to create a fantastic work place that reflects the Music Industry. I pushed to include ideas from the whole UK based work force. We had a great time brain storming and we all decided on the final look of how best use the space we had together.
- Our Financial Director negotiated a suitable budget and together we created what turned out to be the most fantastic work place you could ever wish to work in. Including several themed zones:
- Reception -- Welcome back lit sign, Wall mounted TV, Surround Sound & Security features,
- Abbey Road -- Informal meeting room featuring low level soft furniture & Beatles memorabilia.
- John Peel -- Board room with a variety of lighting options, individual leather seating & bespoke table (see below),
- Hall of Fame -- Training room featuring a large bespoke meeting desk, Projector, PC connection points and leather seats.
- Electronics Workshop -- Safety Power buttons, Anti-static floor & work benches, Sound proof booth, Soak test areas etc.
- The Marquee Club -- Conference room/venue with a Stage, LED lighting & wall mounted demo gear and memorabilia,
- Offices -- An array of spacious, colour matched offices - (Open plan & Private for Directors & Management),
- Voodoo Lounge -- Chill out area, pool table, soft furnishings & electronic gaming,
- Big Kahoona Canteen -- 1950 style american diner (pictured above),
- Archive room -- Wide shelving, lockable for UK data protection,
- Museum Hall -- Showing off numerous well lit products.
- Bespoke furniture projects such as:
- Coffee Tables and wall clocks as replicas of Industry Famous products.
- Meeting table - Replica of The Undertones record - Teenage kicks Circular black vinyl (1.8M dia.),
- Abbey road contained a 2M tall replica of a Balisha Beacon and bespoke Zebra crossing Rug,
- Bespoke Soak test benches fitted with under bench, multi height storage shelves.
- Delapidations to Line 6 UK Ltd Daventry:
- Working with Cleaners, Painters, Electricians, Plumbers, It Consultant, flooring specialists etc.
- This was completed ahead of time and at about 50% of the original budget.
- Summer & Winter live music event planning:
- Venue selection, Themed decoration, Entertainers, Staging, Lighting etc.
- Discreet project in league with Gaming Industry leader - Activision:
- Advising and Supplying technical equipment and support leading to the launch of Guitar Hero Live.
Here's what my employer wrote in my reference "...was instrumental on project managing office moves and refurbishments, delivering them always on time, to cost and working environments to be proud of. He has shown himself to be a good negotiator and task manager ... He is honest, dependable, dedicated, loyal and very hard working. He would be an asset to any company".
Fun Fact #4 - Before joining the Music Industry, I worked in Audio Visual Systems design & installation and before that, Electronic Control Systems for Medical sterilisation machines.
Fun Fact #5 - After leaving University I worked on several projects which I can say very little about, due to the non-disclosure agreements I signed, but most of them had an electronics bias and during this 3 year phase of my life I learned a lot about discretion, people skills and the importance of detail. You will have to take my word for it that they were all completed on time and either on or under budget. These discreet projects were completed for:
- The Royal Mint - Electronic Control System for pulp creation,
- Rolls Royce - Engine Sensor relay system,
- Cummins Engine Company - Sensor failure investigations and improvement implementations,
- Ministry Of Defence - Battery back up systems for submarine power, co-design and produce,
- Cosworth Racing - Procurement projects,
- Orange Instruments - Sterile electrolyte machine (3 year project from prototype to production and commission).
Remember the lyrics "I played it till my fingers bled..." ?
I believe that Guitar playing should be more about having fun and less about bloody, torturous pain.
My approach to tuition is very much dependent on the skill level, age and attention span of the student. Some people wanna get into the technical aspects of music and others want to just sit and strum. I don't mind which kind of person you are, but if you want good results, I will ask that you practice every day for about 5 minutes. Just before bed time works well, after you've put the tablet down for the last time..x
A lesson with me is rarely given a time limit and I charge per lesson (£10 for children and £20 for adults). They take place at my family home in Brixworth, Northants and normally last somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour, if it goes into 2 hours, there will be no extra charge, but there is only so much one can take in, so bear that in mind before you expect a whole day. :0)
If you can work with that kind of dedication and want to have fun with the 6 string beast, gimme a call...
Fun Fact #2 - I once had a free guitar lesson with L.A session guitarist Dave Reynolds - Fantastic musician & humble guy.
Singing was hereditary for me, with a Grandmother who was professionally trained as an operatic soloist and sang soprano, my Dad used to play guitar & sing around the Northern Clubs Scene, Mum always naturally sang harmonies and altogether it rubbed off on me.
I have carved a career as a musician since I was about 15 years old. Since then I have started bands, joined bands, completed solo projects, played on sessions for songwriters from all around the world.
I am a versatile performer with a wide vocal range and I enjoy playing a variety of styles on Acoustic or electric guitars.
I perform regularly with high profile groups based in and around the UK including:
- Eric Haydock's Hollies -- Eric was the original Bassist and founding member of the Hollies
- Clem Cattini's Tornadoes -- Clem was the original Tornadoes drummer and has played drums on over 44 #1 uk chart Hits
- Giddea Park Vocal harmony group -- Beach boys & Frankie Valli Tribute
- Simon "The Rebel" Patrick -- Winner of the European Elvis Presley Tribute Awards Artist
- Northampton Gang Show -- Scouts on Stage
- Boogaloosa -- Interesting & obscure Americana
- Mark Wright & Friends -- Party covers group
- AcousticUs -- Acoustic based Country Rock covers & originals band.
I also occasionally perform lead guitar and vocal duties with:
- Kinks members - Mick Avory & John Dalton "Waterloo Sunset", "Sunny Afternoon"
- Peter Donegan - Son of Lonnie Donegan "Rock Island Line", "My Old Mans a Dustman"
- Jess Conrad OBE - Internationally Acclaimed Actor / Singer "Absolute Beginners", "My Pullover"
- Dave Berry - "Crying game", "Strange Effect"
- Mike Berry - Singer / Actor "Sunshine of your smile", "Are you being served"
- Mike D'Arbo Singer/songwriter "The Mighty Quinn", "Buid me up Buttercup", "Handbags & Gladrags"
- Wayne Fontana "Game of Love"
- Colin Hare's Honeybus "I Can't let Maggie go"
- Billy Davis "Angel of the morning", "Tell Him"
- Saiichi Sugyama Band - Original British Blues
- Brendan Read Jones - British Singer Songwriter (Rock’n’roll & Americana)
- Pure Genius - UK premier party band (I was a founding member in 2000 and left full time in 2014).
- Line 6 UK All Stars - Instrument manufacturer house band.
Fun Fact #1 - I once met a famous musician who once won a Grammy and has been nominated for 2 Ivor Novello Awards and making idle chat while not recognising him, I said "so.. are you in a band or anything"? It was Session basist Guy Pratt (Bass player with David Gilmour, Gary Moore, Robert Palmer, Bryan Ferry, Womack & Womack, The Smiths and countless others). I then tested his guitar by playing "Wish you were here".